Zane N. Zalis
University of Manitoba
- Advanced study in the area of Music and Creativity Education and Music Composition (Arts Based Educational Research/Creative Dissertation)
- (Artist/Researcher/Educator in Curriculum/Teaching/Learning – Arts Based Educational Research – knowledge/knowing, social intelligence, human rights, critical thinking, creativity, and moral development through original music composition/performance
Pre-Masters in Education (Music)
Bachelor of Education (Music & History)
Private Study/Professional Practice
- Music production/audio engineering
- Masterclass with Ellis Marsalis – University of New Orleans
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Prime Ministers Award for Teaching Excellence
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal
- Lieutenant Governor’s Medal for the Advancement of Inter-Religious Understanding
- Canadian Interfaith Leadership Award
- Composer laureate: St. Paul’s College, University of Manitoba
- Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal
- Awarded Special Grant (composing) Jewish Foundation of Manitoba
- Invited to become a member (composer) of the prestigious BMI Musical Theatre Workshops New York (1994)
- Awarded Manitoba Film and Sound grant
- SOCAN member
COMPOSER / CONDUCTOR / RESEARCHER / PRODUCER
- World Premiere of NOSTOS – oratorio (composer/lyricist) examining identity, otherness, reclamation, and place, through experiences of immigration and survival of atrocity – Stuttgart, Germany, Feb 3 & 4 2018 Kultur & Kongresszentrum Liederhalle – Beethoven-Saal. Conductor – Klaus Breuninger, Solitude Chor, University of Hohenheim Orchestra, Guest performers.
- Performed August 24 & 25 2018 – Murau International Music Festival, Murau Austria
- See: https://www.solitude-chor.de/konzerte/nostos.php
- i believe – oratorio Composer/lyricist – modern oratorio about humanity as experienced through the lives of two young people living through the Holocaust
- Performance scheduled – March 2019 Leverkusen, Germany
- Lodz (Poland, January 31, 2017) Grand Theatre, Opera Orchestra, sold out – Solitude Chor (Stuttgart), Opera Children’s Chorus, Klaus Breuninger – conductor
- US premiere – New York, Nov. 9, 2014, Lincoln Center, Alice Tully Hall – sold out. Jonathan Griffiths (Artistic Director – DCINY) – conductor, Solitude Chor (Germany), Murau – members of MIMF(Austria), Project Z Singers (Canada), Winnipeg Youth Chorus (Canada), Soloists – Sarah Jean Ford (NYC), Drew Gehling(NYC), Alex Gemignani(NYC). www.dciny.org/performance-opportunities-2014/
- Stuttgart, Germany – European premiere. November 9 & 10, 2013 – sold out – Klaus Breuninger – conductor, Kelsey Cowie (Winnipeg), Marko Zeiler (Austria), Jean-Pierre Oullet, Solitude Chor, Sinfonieorchester der Universistat Hohenheim. ibelieve-stuttgart.de
- Toronto performance at Roy Thomson Hall, Oct. 25, 2011. Sold out. Conductor – Maestro Roberto Paternostro (Music Director – Israel Chamber Orchestra) Orpheus Choir – Robert Cooper, U of T ( McMillan singers) – Hilary Apfelstadt , Hamilton Children’s Choir – Zimfira Poloz, Kelsey Cowie (Winnipeg), Marko Zeiler (Austria), Marc Devigne (Toronto). ibelieveproject.org
- World Premiere of i believe – Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra – (Conductor –Alexander Mickelthwate), 200+ performers on stage –Orch., Adult Chorus, Children’s Chorus, Soloists and Narrator. Sold out May 21, 2009
Winnipeg Jazz Orchestra (2017)
- Guest arranger and conductor – performance by Prodigy vocal ensemble.
Symphonic arranger for Nathan (Juno Award winner) and the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra 2014 Juno Awards Celebrations
Guest speaker and performer
- RE: i believe/music/education/human rights. Toronto – 2011 & 2012.
Guest performer at Freedom Day 2012 Toronto
- excerpts from i believe. 0ver 4000 students and general public in attendance.
Invited as guest presenter for Holocaust Education Week
- Toronto November 2012
i believe – director/conductor
- performance at the Murau International Music Festival- Austria –Aug. 2009
- International Holocaust Conference Yad Vashem (Jerusalem) July 2008
Composer and Music Director for the opening of the Gala Concert for Queen Elizabeth II 50th anniversary
- Live attendance 50,000 people; broadcast nationally.
Orchestral arranger for Nathan (Juno Award-winning band)
Choir Director for Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra & North American premiere of Lord of the Rings – MTS Centre
Co-Founder and Festival Director- Murau Summer Music Festival (Austria) 2006 – present
Endorsed by the Canadian Embassy (Vienna). mimf.at Numerous guest artists including – Donna Ellen (Vienna State Opera), Juan Garcia-Herreros (Latin Jazz Grammy Nominee), Ash Koley (Sony Recording Artist)
Guest Composer/Conductor for the StadtKapelle – Murau/Styria (Austria)
Composer and conductor with the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra (2005, 06, 07)
Executive producer, producer and arranger of the 60th Anniversary D-day national recording project entitled REMEMBER
- Involving artists from across the country (Denzal Sinclaire- Juno nominee, Terry Kelly 6 time ECMA winner, Matt Andersen ECMA nominee et al)- recorded in Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Halifax, Montreal, and Summerside, Prince Edward Island.
- REMEMBER CD was purchased by the Manitoba and British Columbia governments as a resource to the curriculum guides.
Music director for Rainbow Stage
- Crazy for You, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Singin’ in the Rain, 42nd Street, and BIG
Former Board member
- Rainbow Stage (chair of production)
- Virtuosi Concerts (International Chamber Music Series – Winnipeg)
Producer and arranger for Rainbow Stage 50th anniversary album
- Guest performers include- Len Cariou, Jeremy Kushnier, Jayne Paterson, Richard Hurst, Jeff Goldblum, Kevin McIntyre, Stan Lesk, Debbie Maslowsky and many others
Performed in Austria, United States, Mexico, Scotland, and across Canada
Radio and television performances with CBC (national broadcasts)
Hundreds of performances in support of our Manitoba communities and special events.
CBC first call commercial writer and producer, national and provincial award-winning work
Miles Macdonell Collegiate 1980 – Present
- Music Director and founder of the music production/composition program, MightyMac recording studio, Prodigy (vocal ensemble) and Choir. Director of Bands and guitar from 1980 – 1990s. Developed program from original 14 students to present day 300-400 students.
- Pioneered the development of music technology in schools (national)
1980 – present
- Beta tested music software for education.
First in Canada.
- Among the first of all recording studios in Canada to use various software and hardware tools.
Students have consistently been given cutting edge opportunities to create music.
- Professional CD releases of music created at Miles Macdonell
Received notable public recognition and significant radio play
- Numerous students given the opportunity to interact and work with world class musical artists (guests of our program)
- Teacher of many successful students in all aspects of the music industry, from Broadway, recording contracts, touring, studio production, Grammy nominated projects, music education and music professor.
- Presented provincial clinic on creativity and the language of music / composing as part of the Juno celebrations.
- Workshop for teachers on Notion software and creative usage.
Canadian Mennonite University
- Sessional-Director and founder
- Jazz Ensemble
- Sessional-founder / director
- Contemporary Ensemble
Guest Lecturer / Presenter
- Provoking the Curriculum Conference (McGill University Feb. 2017) presenter
- Canadian Society for the Study of Education Conference – Toronto May 2017 – Ryerson University – Arts-Based Research: Music, Words, and Concert Halls – Research Tools for Developing Empathy
- Creative Development Workshop for Educators (Murau, Austria) August 2017
- Canadian Educator’s National Music Education Conference – research session 2015
- Faculty of Education Graduate Student Symposium
- Brandon University School of Music
- City of New Orleans Public Schools (music improvisation)
- Speaker at Steinberg Canada Toronto
- University of Winnipeg
- University of Manitoba
- Toronto – St. James Church (HEW)
- APME – Minneapolis
New methods in teaching for creativity and songwriting / composing.
- APME – Minneapolis
- MIMF (Austria)
- Developing creativity / critical thinking
PUBLICATIONS AND PAPERS
- Published in Steinberg International Newsletter – Music Production Overview
Critical analysis and reflection about acquiring the language of music in an educational setting.
- International performances of my arrangements and compositions by various artistic organizations
- English – native language
- Ukrainian– also native and attended Ukrainian language school – no longer practiced – minimal competency